Another Finished Object Friday

It’s FO Friday again, and I have finally finished knitting the dark red top-down raglan for my son that is based on Heidi Kirrmaier’s pattern Tea With Jam and Bread, which is available on Ravelry.

Although Heidi’s design includes broad stripes, I knitted my version of the sweater in one solid color. I bought the pattern because it comes in a large variety of sizes from children’s to men’s XXL  and because it uses short rows to raise the back of the neck. Having this pattern saves me from doing a lot of math to figure out how many stitches, how many inches, how many decreases, etc. I like not having to do the math myself. The math isn’t difficult, it’s just, well, math. There’s a reason I was a Latin major in college, not a math major. 🙂

Anyway, I loved knitting the neck with the short rows–and the technique Heidi recommends that uses yarn overs instead of wraps is easy to do and virtually invisible–but I’m not thrilled with how the back of the neck curls.

The curl should disappear when the sweater is blocked.

The curl should disappear when the sweater is blocked.

But I am pretty confident that curl will disappear once the sweater is washed (it’s soaking as I type) and blocked.

The only modifications I made to the pattern, aside from not knitting stripes and not adding pockets, is to add a few short rows to the upper, middle, and lower back of the sweater to lengthen the back a bit and give my son a better fit, and to knit the body of the sweater a couple of inches longer overall to accommodate my son’s long torso. His sweaters tend to ride up a bit in the back, and the extra length from the short rows should eliminate that problem.

The completed sweater before blocking

The completed sweater before blocking

The yarn is Regal from Briggs and Little in New Brunswick, Canada. It’s a 2-ply wool that comes in 4-oz/113g put-ups of 272 yds/248m. The color is #73 Red, and it is a very dark red that is slightly on the rusty end of the red spectrum. It’s quite lovely, but then, I’ve never met a red I didn’t love.

The yarn itself is a bit rustic, not being either tightly spun or tightly plied, but it’s quite sturdy nonetheless. There was a lot of VM (vegetable matter for you muggles) in the yarn that I ended up removing with tweezers as I knit. This was a minor PITA, but I really don’t mind because all the VM means that the wool was not highly processed with chemicals that dissolve plant matter. This yarn is a heavy worsted weight bordering on Aran weight, but it’s pretty lofty, so the sweater ought to be quite warm, especially in proportion to its weight.

Now that the sweater is done, I can get to work on knitting a bunch of fingerless mitts. I have a lot of odds and ends of worsted weight wool to use up, and I know lots of people who could use a pair or two of hand-knitted mitts. So many patterns, so little time. 🙂

☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃☃

Advertisements

One thought on “Another Finished Object Friday

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s