So, in my last post, I said that I would talk a little more about this picture:
Being a total newbie to rigid heddle weaving, I didn’t notice anything unusual when I took this picture, but to an experienced weaver’s eye, there is a giant red flag waving vigorously. If you look closely at the warp where it winds onto the warp beam, you can see that it is slightly fatter in the center and thinner at the edges. This is because the warp tension is uneven. The tension is tighter on the edges than in the middle. Tension problems are a beginning spinner’s nightmare.
I think there are two reasons why my warp had uneven tension. One is because the yarn I used is pretty stretchy. Stretchy yarn requires extra care when used for a warp and weaving skills that I as a total novice simply lack. But I think the stretchiness of the yarn is just a minor issue here. I think the main reason for the uneven warp is the fact that the warp spread out a bit when I was winding it onto the warp beam. If you look on the left side of the warp, you can see that the part of the warp that goes over the wooden rod (the back beam) is wider than where the yarn comes out of the heddle (the white plastic thing). When this happens, and it happened on both sides of the warp, the threads on the area that spreads are going to be shorter than the threads on the area that doesn’t spread, and that will eventually cause problems with tension in the weaving because the edges will be tighter and the middle will be looser.
Had I noticed this when I was taking the picture, I could have unwound the warp and fixed it. But I didn’t notice it until it was too late to do anything about it. So my weft curved and developed the dreaded smile, which resulted in this:
I’ll be honest, although I am disappointed that this scarf didn’t come out perfect, I am still very happy with it. I think it is beautiful, even with its imperfections, and I look forward to wearing it this winter.
Project #3, a scarf made with some pretty vintage leftover sock yarn, is on the Cricket and nearly finished. It’s another fail, but for completely different reasons. Stay tuned for more details.
You definitely learned from the experience and go a beautiful scarf out of it! I’m sure your next weaving project will go differently now you know what to look for.
I kind of expect that each weaving project will present at least one challenge, just not the same challenge as the previous ones, I hope. I try to learn from my mistakes, but the lesson doesn’t alway stick.
It’s beautiful! The ripples don’t show up when the scarf is worn, and it was a learning experience, so I’d say that’s not bad at all. 🙂 Have fun with the fringes!
Thanks, Anita. Overall, I am very pleased with how the scarf turned out, and yes, I have learned a lot. First of all, I learned how to correct the “floats” (the warp threads I missed) and did that this afternoon. It was pretty easy and didn’t take a lot of time, and the repairs are virtually invisible. Also, I have since learned that there is a way to correct, or at least alleviate, the tension problem I had with the warp during the weaving. So if it happens again, I will be able to fix it.
In the end it looks pretty good and the selvedges look great. You should be pleased with it.