Houston, We Have A Sock!

Originally published  Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hooray! I completed Buckeye Arches #1 last night. I’m very pleased with the finished product.

It fits me very nicely, so I know it will fit its intended recipient, #1 Buckeye fan Cousin Vickie. Fit is always a concern when knitting a stranded sock. Stranded knitting doesn’t have the stretch and give that knitting with a single yarn has, and all too often the sock will be so inflexible that it is difficult or even impossible to get your foot into it. I like to knit socks at a gauge of between 8 and 9 stitches per inch, so I usually use 2.25 or 2.5mm needles, depending on the yarn, and a cast on of 72 stitches. Because these socks are stranded, I went with an 84-stitch cast on and it appears to be my stranded sock Goldilocks number–it’s just right. ☺

I used the pinstripe star toe from the book and I’m not 100% sold on it. It is easy to do, and it fits very nicely, and it looks pretty good, too. I don’t know why I’m not enthralled by it. If I decide to use a different toe on sock #2, it won’t be a big deal to rip out the toe on sock #1 and reknit it. I haven’t woven in the ends yet, and toes go pretty quickly. I still have time to mull it over because it will be a few days before I reach decision time.

And, yes, sock #2 is already OTN (on the needles). No SSS (second sock syndrome) for me. ☺

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s